Friday, July 16, 2010

Ashlyn's 4th Birthday Party

We decided to have Ashlyn's friend birthday party several weeks early since we're not quite sure when the baby will come. This is the first time that she has invited friends over for her birthday and I think it was a lot of fun!

We decided to do a cooking theme and my sister designed these adorable invitations that looked like recipe cards!

My sister, Lorie, and my brother, Bryon, and his wife, Kari, were tons of help. Lorie made this poster of an adorable chef. I love it so much that I think I'm going to save it and hang it up for every birthday!

When the kids showed up, they sat at the table and decorated their own place mat with markers, crayons and stickers.

Kristen Hendricks, Bryon, Ashlyn, Sammy Jenne, Azelynn Smith, Natalya Miskin

When they were done with that, they went in the living room to play "pin the hat on the chef."
Natalya, Kristen, Haven Wright, Kyle Keck, Sammy, Azelynn, Story Wright

Nobody wanted to go first, so Bryon agreed to give it a try. For some reason he just couldn't figure out where to put the hat! All the kids thought he was hilarious and they couldn't stop giggling!

Ashlyn went next. She ended up getting it right on, but I don't think her blindfold was doing it's job!

The birthday girl laughing at Uncle Bryon.

Each of the kids wore one of these aprons to protect them during their "cooking" and to enjoy later!

Next, everyone made their own pizza with sauce, cheese, pepperoni and ham.


While the pizzas were cooking we tried to initiate a game of freeze dance, but it ended up being a game of "Kyle the lion chasing the girls." I think they were loving it!


We then proceeded to eat pizzas, open presents, and go on a scavenger hunt for the goody bags. Here is Natalya, Charlie Oldham, and Kyle running up the stairs to find the next clue.
You know, I think the scavenger hunt was their favorite part.

The treasure at the end of the hunt was a goody bag with a sugar cookie mix and cookie cutters.


We then decorated cupcakes with icing, sprinkles, marshmallows and gummy bears and ate them with some ice cream!

It was a fun and crazy hour and a half and I really wish that I had a picture of all of the kids together (preferably wearing their aprons). There were 10 of them total (including Carter and Ashlyn) and they sure kept us busy! Thankfully I had Lorie, Bryon, Kari, Brad and Karen helping me out, because there is no way I could have done it myself!

I think there are a few things that I might do differently next time I plan a party for 4 year olds, but we're thankful for all of Ashlyn's sweet friends coming and celebrating with us. We love them! We love our sweet Ashlyn too!

5 comments:

Karie said...

I loved being part of this party through the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This year I'm going to be there on Ashlyn's birthday - that's a first for my 4 year old!!!!!!!!!!

Kathryn S. said...

Another post! YAY!! How adorable. It's nice that you had so many adult helpers. What cute ideas. I can not believe that she's already 4. She's almost half of a decade old :)

The Hungry Homemaker said...

Natalya had such a fun time! Thanks for inviting her. Such a cute birthday idea, and I loved the pictures

Melissa said...

What a creative birthday theme! So cute! We played "pin the patch on the pirate" at Tracen's party. It works with anything!

Jennifer said...

What a great party idea! You are so creative! How fun that you have your siblings close to help out! Congrats on Brad's new job, that's a great website that I have used for some family history!
lov