We both got out of the car and the driver was older and grabbed a walker out of the truck bed. He apologized and walked with me to the front of the car to survey the damage. He suggested that we pull forward (out of the way) and he would get me his insurance information. We pulled out of the way, and I made several phone calls before calling the police. I had to get out of my car to find an address, and as I was returning, the passenger of the truck stepped out with a paper with hand-written insurance information. I informed him that an officer was on the way, so he withheld the paper and said the officer would give me the information. Because of this action, I assume that the truck driver had no intention of calling the police.
10 minutes later the officer arrived. He went to the truck first and took their information. When he came to my car for my information, he also asked for my side of the story. After I had told him, he informed me that the other driver claimed that I ran into him when he was at a complete stop! What! I couldn't believe the man would lie! Unfortunately, there were no witnesses to the accident, so it is basically his word against mine. As far as I know, the officer did not issue any citations, and we were both given eachother's insurance information.
I called my insurance company immediately to file a claim, and my insurance representative was calling the truck's insurance to file a claim with them. I hope, hope, hope that they will pay for the damages to our car. I have no idea what it will cost, but based on previous experience, it probably won't be cheap.These are some pictures of our wounded car:
So, what do you think? Any suggestions for what I should do at this point besides wait?
14 comments:
This is so infuriating!! What a complete scam by this guy. I wonder whether he is being intentionally deceitful or whether he is just old and senile? I would just keep sticking by your story and give all those details, about him getting out and getting a walker, maybe if you saw his reverse lights come on, etc. I'm sure you did all that already so it's pointless advice. Please keep us updated with what happens because this demands justice!!
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me at a friend's mission farewell. His uncle was backing out of a really long driveway and backed into me. He gave me his business card and told me he'd take care of it. When my parent's insurance called his they said he denied the entire thing. I have no good news for you and reading your post made me remember how selfish and dishonest people can be. In my case, my insurance covered it and then went about trying to sue his but I also had witnesses so I don't know what to tell you.
Oh I am So Sorry!! What a scary thing to happen espically when you have your precious baby in the car...I'm not sure if filing a report would make a difference (maybe this has happened before) but I don't know...
I am so sorry that happened to you! When I saw the title of your post, I thought maybe you got in an accident during the blizzard! I hope everything works out, and that everyones suggestions will help. Let me know!
Initially, I thought he was just old and senile too, but apparently he told the insurance agent that I was talking on my cell phone. Now, since that is completey false, I am convinced that he concocted the whole story purposely and I hold him completely accountable.
Unfortunately, I don't think it is going to turn out well. I went down to the police station last evening and bought a copy of the police report, and all it does it repeat both of our stories. It looks like I am going to have to pay the $500 deductible to get my car fixed.
My only consolation is that I firmly believe that what goes around, comes around.
No no no no we will not stand for this. That is somewhere you can prove he was lying, if he said you were on your phone--get your cell phone company to send the record of your calls and you can show you weren't on the phone that day and time. They have those details, it comes on your bill, I'm sure you can get it sooner in a situation like this. There is no way you should have to pay a deductible when you have been completely scammed. Don't do it!! Fight it!!
Wow, that is ridiculous! I'm with Tracy on this - fight it! Good idea to prove you weren't on your cell at least! Good luck Karon!
i'm starting to wonder if you don't have very good luck in cars. I hope that's not true. I'm so glad that you and cute little Ashlyn are ok!!!
also, brent had a little fender bender in a parking lot- and they said it was helpful to have pictures of the location. I would advise you to go back to the scene and take a picture of all placements.
That is so sad!! what a jerk, i hate when people are like that. i'm sorry to hear you have to go through this, it would make me so angry!!
Get your cell phone company to send their records. Don't give in when you're completely right! I wonder if your insurance company can find out the other driver has a history of backing into other people or similar accidents. It might not do anything, but if there are recorded events, it can lend some evidence to his behavior. Too bad that cute baby of yours can't be a witness for you. . . Good luck!
Karon, I'm so sorry. I have no advice...but I do offer my sympathy... I'm glad that everyone was okay at least...
So I sent you an email about this but I think it could help alot and want to make sure you get it. My dad noticed that the damage to your car is on the passenger side. Since you were in a roundabout, the relative angles of your cars would most likely have made it so that the damage to your car was on the drivers side if you had run into him. The damage to the passenger side is better explained if he was going to turn out, then realized that he didn't want to go that way so he started to back up while turning his car back into the roundabout. I think you should fight it Karon, even if nothing comes of it you'll know you did everything you could. And guys like this tell their tall tales in hopes that you'll just take it because you think there's nothing you can do.
Post a Comment