Saturday, August 2, 2008

A New Family Doctor



Some of you may know that I have been through a few different pediatricians with Ashlyn. My main complaint is that they have really pressured me to immunize according to the AAP's Immunization Schedule, even though I wasn't comfortable with it. Recently, I asked my midwife for some pediatrician referrals, and she actually gave me the names of some family practitioners.

One of these doctors is a D.O. or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. For those of you who don't know what that is (I didn't) and want to know, check out this site.

Thursday I took Ashlyn to see this D.O. for her 2 year well visit. The office was definitely not as child-friendly as previous pediatrician offices and she cried about everything - getting weighed, having her heartbeat checked, having her temperature taken, etc . . . but, the doctor was wonderful!

I felt like our philosophies about health were right in line. What really won me over, however, was what he had to say about immunizations. I don't want to push my vaccination ideas on anyone, but if you want to know more about what he told me, check out this article and this update.

Since Ashlyn was little, she has regularly had runny noses. It was even runny the day of our doctor's visit. He told us, after checking out her nose (which was slightly irritated), that this was most likely due to an allergy, like milk. He suggested keeping her off dairy products for two weeks and seeing if it made a difference. Being lactose intolerant myself, I wouldn't be surprised if dairy avoidance makes a difference for Ashlyn too. The doctor said that the most common allergies for young children are dairy and wheat.

Also, we talked about how to help Ashlyn get to sleep easier, and he suggested chamomile tea. Apparently, chamomile tea helps with insomnia. Has anyone else tried this with themselves or their children?

Anyway, I'm happy to have been referred to a doctor I can be comfortable with, especially with a new little one on the way!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Thanks so much for the articles. I'm thinking I might look into a D.O. My instincts are leaning me toward more natural remedies, cures, etc. I just hate going to a pediatrician and no matter what your complaint, they IMMEDIATELY throw out some prescription, not even offering alternative options. I hope the dairy thing works for Ashlyn. We had B tested and it showed no food allergies but I think she has outdoor/indoor ones. Did he say anything about that?

Karie said...

What a relief! Happy for you and Ashlyn and new little boy ... does Brad know how lucky he is to have a wife who cares so much about mothering?

Karon said...

Heidi- He did say that they do electrodermal testing to determine food and outdoor/indoor allergies. I don't know much about it though.

Betancourt Family said...

Karon!! My Father in law and mother in law are studying that medicine! Oh I live it so much. Lots of people think that you are crazy....you body healing itself...sounds impossible but it's been one of the biggest blessings that I've had as a mother. I've seen so many miracles....oh we've got to talk about this.