Friday, October 5, 2007

Immunizations

I took Ashlyn to the Health Clinic this morning to get one of her shots. When they gave it to her, she cried, which is probably normal, but she hasn't cried before. It broke my heart. A while afterward she started uncontrollably sobbing and this went on for like half an hour. Eventually she fell asleep and I was relieved. Does anyone else feel like a bad mom when their child has a bad reaction to immunizations? She is up from a nap now and seems a little bit happier--that is probably because I'm giving her whatever she wants. I'm sure it isn't the best thing to do, but it is making me feel better about myself. I do not love shots.

4 comments:

Melissa Fullmer said...

I totally feel ya, i cried the first time clara cried from shots. It really does break your heart.

Cami said...

I'm amazed that this is the first time she's cried because of her shots- she's one tough cookie! But i can totally relate, it is one of those bitter sweet moments when you know that you are doing what you should, but it is no fun! After Mikayla's last shots, we got her a Wendy's frosty- that made me feel so much better!

alli may said...

I am also amazed that you've made it so long without tears. There is nothing worse than holding your child down while someone does something to them that you hope is good for them, knowing they are going to cry!!! So it goes in the life of a mom. Why don't we make the dads to this??? NO WONDER WE ALL HATE NEEDLES!

Betancourt Family said...

I've succum to the lolly-pop method. I always carry a dum-dum (I like those cause they are small) with me when Sergio goes in for his shots and once they are over I show him his lolly-pop and magically his tears dissapear. He's always cried when it's shot time but they've never been too intense. My guess is because my method use to be breastfeeding but now that he's older I caved and let him have some sweets.